We are deeply saddened by the death of Mr Marius Tigamirop and would like to extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Mr Marius Tigamirop passed away at the Tunas Sawa Erma (TSE) clinic at around 1.00 pm on Saturday, May 16, 2020, which was about one hour after Mr Tigamirop had an altercation with a police officer. The officer with whom Mr Tigamirop had an altercation was arrested, and the Chief of the Papua Police Department apologized for the tragic incident.
Although there is a report that the cause of death is a heart attack, it is unclear whether that is a doctor’s opinion or the official autopsy finding.
Regarding the incident, these are some of the known facts:
- On May 16, 2020, at about 11:30 am, Mr Marius Tigamirop entered Tunas Sawa Erma’s office with a bow and a machete claiming that his banana farm had been damaged.
- When Mr Tigamirop left the office to head home, he was confronted by a police officer, Melki Yowei, who forcibly took away Mr Tigamirop’s bow and machete. There was an altercation, and Mr Tigamirop returned home with his wife.
- At 12:15 pm, Mr Tigamirop arrived at a clinic operated by TSE in the camp. His symptoms were anxiety and dyspnea. The clinic’s medical staff tried to take emergency measures including oxygen respirator and medication, but Mr Tigamirop refused the treatments. He seemed very upset.
- Mr Tigamirop passed away around 1 PM without allowing the medical staff to perform any treatments.
Korindo Group will:
- Arrange Mr Tigamirop’s funeral and seek ways to support his family.
- Work with residents and local authorities to conduct a thorough and meticulous investigation and find out exactly what happened.
- Establish a multilateral consultative body in which residents, local governments, local organizations, and NGOs participate, and cooperate in conducting investigations to prevent future tragedy.
- Immediately open the Grievance Channel for the case on the Korindo homepage and disclose the results of the multilateral consultative body and its progress.