Skip to main content

Korindo Group Helps Fire Victims in Mappi

By 27 March 2019October 22nd, 2021Group News2 min read

Papua – A big fire hit Asgon region, Mappi Regency, Papua on Monday (25/2). Reportedly at least around 700 residents lost their homes. To alleviate the victims’ sufferings, Korindo Group through its subsidiary, PT Dongin Prabhawa, which operates in Merauke Regency, provided assistance in the amount of IDR 100,000,000 (one hundred million rupiahs) or equals to around USD 7,000.

The donation was handed over by Mr. Cheong Chin Guk, General Manager of Community Relations of PT Dongin Prabhawa (DP) and was received directly by the Regent of Mappi, Kristosimus Yohanes Agawemu. The handover ceremony was also attended by PT DP Deputy General Manager, Daniel Sim Ayomi, Deputy Regent of Mappi, Jaya Ibnu Su’ud and BPBD’s Chair Mappi Samuel Anggu.

“Thank you and the highest appreciation for Korindo’s kindness and good intentions. Hopefully this donation can alleviate the burden of our brothers and sisters in Asgon Mappi Village who need support for housing that will be built soon,” said Regent Kristosimus at the ceremony last Friday (3/22).

The donation is one of PT Dongin Prabhawa’s social contributions to the people. “The purpose of this donation is to help the victims. Hopefully this donation will be useful, so that the Asgon people’s lives can be back to normal and they can return to their daily activities, “said Mr. Cheong Chin Guk.

As reported by the news site, the Head of the Papua Police Public Relations Commissioner A.M Kamal explained that the fires started from the burning of a kiosk near the motorcycle’s services base in Assue market.

“Then the fire quickly spread in the direction of the market and burnt all the kiosks in the market complex. Residents tried to extinguish the fire and save their valuables goods but the speed of the wind and the size of the fire made the fire difficult to extinguish,” said Commissioner Kamal. “It is suspected that the cause was the PLN electricity installation which was not in accordance with the installation standards,” he explained.